Over the last 10+ days I've been
watching a lot of NBA summer league and have seen many of the leagues
new fresh young talent. Few of them though have caught my eye as much
as the 17th overall in this years NBA draft Dennis
Schroeder.
The young German Point guard has displayed tremendous poise and at 19
years old already knows how to run an offense. His priority is
defense first and when he is defending whoever he uses that 6'7
wingspan and doesn’t give his opponents that much space to get
comfortable. With Jeff Teague potentially going to the Milwaukee
Bucks it is possible that the 19 year old out of Germany might be the
starting point guard for the Atlanta Hawks. If you aren't familiar
with the German born point guard then let me get you familiar
with him before the word gets out.
Schroeder
played 2 years of pro basketball in Germany and also had some stints
with the German U-18 and U-20. He caught
the attention of many scouts at the annual Nike hoop summit held in
Portland where the best high school talent in the world competes
against each other. In a sea of top tier talent like Andrew Wiggins,
Jabari Parker,Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon Schroeder managed to
shine among them with 18 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists in 112-98
win for the World team over the USA.
I
kept hearing good things about him among basketball fans I follow on
Twitter so when I finally had the chance to watch him play I liked
what I saw from immediately. Patience, poise and Intensity are a few
words I would use to describe his game. All game long against the
Kings he was matched up with Ray Mcallum and made his life a living
hell giving very little room to maneuver. He gets low in that stance
and uses all 6'7 of his wingspan to get his hands on the ball and
force the opponent to make a bad decision with the ball. On offense
he plays with a tremendous amount of patience for some one his age.
In the pick&roll he makes quick decisions and takes what the
defense gives him. If they go under the screen he shots the jumper or
if they pack the paint then he just swings the ball and gets his team
into the offensive set immediately.
I
think the Hawks got a steal at #17 with Dennis Schroeder any young
point guard who can run an offense patiently and makes defense his
top priority makes any team better. Might be one of the top value
picks in the 2013 Draft. If you are unfamiliar with Schroeder and his
game check
out the video
below.




Good Article...enjoy the fact that your inquisitive ness on doing your research...on the rookies in the summer league in the NBA...Has help me become more knowlegable on the future players.Thank you..DAD
ReplyDelete