As week 7 is well in the past lets take a look back at the very interesting week full of good things, bad things, and the ugliest scenes and losses of the highly interesting week! Week 7 saw the end of an undefeated season for a phenom (Broncos), various players seasons cut short by injury (Reggie Wayne, Brian Cushing, Sam Bradford, etc.), and we also saw a struggling franchise gain their long awaited first win (New York Giants). You know how we do our NFL weekly review here on Truschoolsports! First lets take a look at our weekly awards and then venture on into the weeks scores and top performers for each and every game of the great week of football! Make sure to check out my NFL week 7 review video on my YouTube channel shown below! And on to the awards we go!
NFL Week 7 Awards
MVP- Andrew Luck
- Lets face it folks, with such an impressive win over the Colt's former franchise player (Peyton Manning) and one of the most dominating teams in the NFL today how could you not give the 2nd year QB the MVP honors for week 7? The way he handled all of the media and public attention was great, he didn't let the return of Manning to Indianapolis get in his way of winning a football game. Luck had just as great stats as Manning did with 228 yards, zero picks, and 3 touchdowns. Manning might have had 100+ more yards but Luck's QBR was much stronger and Manning also threw one pick on the day. What a performance by Luck in the Sunday Night Football spotlight!
Sleeper- Andy Dalton
- No I am not the biggest fan of Dalton but I can give credit where credit is due. Where is the credit do for Dalton this week? For his standout performance against the Detroit Lions. Dalton went 24/34 on passes, had 372 yards, and also had 3 touchdowns. Yes I know what you are thinking, Dalton is mad inconsistent. But the guy really has shown up in the past few weeks and proved that he can be a solid and reliable week to week starter for the Bengals. Hopefully he can keep this hot streak going!
Best Game- Bears vs. Redskins (Skins win 45-41)
- When a game comes this down to the wire with two great teams how can you not be at the edge of your seat asking why is this game so damn entertaining? Well, this game did that trick. Back and forth it was between two of the most entertining teams in the NFL as we saw one hell off a game that went very high on the scoring end. If you want good,down to the final quarter, entertaining, and intense football, then this was your game of the week!
Surprise Win- Jets beat Patriots 30-27
It is not just the confusing call by the refs to give the Jets the first down and full opportunity to win the game that surprised me most, but the fact that the Jets actually pulled off this victory against the Pats! It seems like an eternity ago when NFL fans couldn't stop joking about the Jets and their on and off the field blunders (cough cough...butt fumble...) and now we see them with a 4-3 record only trailing the Pats by one game in the AFC East division. Talk about changes! The call at the end was a little bogus due to Rex notifying the refs and basically "tipping" them to give the Jets the call but the refs as much as I hate to say this did get the call right.
Worst loss- Jaguars lose to Chargers 24-6
- There weren't too many big losses (largest point deficit not just overall bad loss) this week but the 0-7 record has shown Jacksonville fans that this is something that has happened week after week and will continue throughout the rest of the season. The Jags cant seem to accumulate any points on offense and look like they are a freaking CFL team! They are absolute trash! The only person I will "praise" for their work this season with the Jags is wide receiver Justin Blackmon who has had an exceptional season so far. Right now the Jags are the worst in the NFL at rush defense and are the worst running team in the entire NFL. The defense has done nothing to make these 7 losses any less embarrassing then they all have been as the Jags have played sloppy football every game of the season (and yes that does include their game against the Broncos in week 6). This is the 4th game this season where Jacksonville has not had a single offensive or defensive touchdown. Let that statistic speak for itself.
Rebound team in week 8- New England Patriots
-With that embarrassing and heart breaking 30-27 loss to the Jets the Patriots really need to rebound in week 8 against division foe Miami Dolphins if they don't want to threaten their spot atop of the AFC East division. The Jets are on their tail and if they cant capitalize in week 8 off of their mistakes and miscues from week 7 then there will be just a bit of concern in New England.
Worst Performance- Josh Freeman
- What a terrible debut for Freeman as a Viking, theres nothing more to it! 20/53 and only 190 yards to go along with one interception in his first game with Minnesotta, his first game was the definition of sloppy football.
Week 7 scores and top performers
Seahawks beat Cardinals 34-22- (Marshawn Lynch- 21 carries, 91 yards, 1 TD)
Jets beat Patriots 30-27- (Rob Gronkowski's return- 8 receptions, 114 yards, 0 TD)
Falcons beat Buccaneers 31-23- (Matt Ryan- 20 for 26 on passes, 273 yards, 3 TD)
Bengals beat Lions 27-24- (Andy Dalton- 24-34 on passes, 373 yards, 3 TD)
Bills beat Dolphins 23-21- (Ryan Tannehill- 19-37 on passes, 194 yards, 3 TD)
Cowboys beat Eagles 17-3- (Dez Bryant- 8 receptions, 110 yards, 0 TD)
Redskins beat Bears 45-41- (Matt Forte- 16 carries, 91 yards, 3 TD)
Panthers beat Rams 30-15- (Cam Newton- 15-17 on passes, 204 yards, 1 TD, 26 yards rushing)
Chargers beat Jaguars 24-6- (Ryan Matthews- 21 carries, 110 yards, 1 TD)
49ers beat Titans 31-17- (Jake Locker- 25-41 on passes, 326 yards, 2 TD)
Packers beat Browns 31-13- (Aaron Rodgers- 25-36 on passes, 260 yards, 3 TD)
Chiefs beat Texans 17-16- (Jamaal Charles- 21 carries, 86 yards, 1 TD, 37 yards receiving)
Steelers beat Ravens 19-16- (Joe Flacco- 24-34, 215 yards, 1 TD)
Colts beat Broncos 39-33- (Peyton Manning 29-49 on passes, 386 yards, 3 TD)
Giants beat Vikings 23-7- (Eli Manning- 23-39, 200 yards, 1 TD)
Week 7 big injuries (many hits to fantasy teams)-
Reggie Wayne- Torn ACL (out for season)
Brian Cushing- Torn LCL (out for season)
Jay Cutler- Torn groin (out at least 4 weeks)
Jermichael Finley- Head/neck injury (currently unknown return date)
Doug Martin- Shoulder (unconfirmed timetable, possibly entire season)
Sam Bradford- Torn ACL (out for season)
Nick Foles- Concussion (unconfirmed return date, not out for rest of season)
Other news going into week 8
- Brandon Meriweather appealed 2 game suspension for illegal helmet to helmet hits on Bears receivers, suspension released to only 1 game! What is the NFL doing! They have to be more strict if they want him to stop pulling off these ridiculous penalties!
- Kansas City Chiefs (7-0) remain as the only undefeated team left standing through seven weeks. The Jacksonville Jaguars (0-7) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-6) are now the only two teams remaining with zero wins after Giants get first win
- Chad Henne (actually solid at times) named starter in Jacksonville, Blaine Gabbert moves to backup (he is trash).
- There have been various reports by ESPN and Fox sports that NFL free agent Tim Tebow has been discussed to be a possible option at the quarterback position in St.Louis after Rams watch starter Sam Bradford go down with season ending torn ACL. Even Brett Favre was thrown into the Rams quarterback discussion but the 44 year old declined negotiations with the Rams on Thursday, October 24th
- Eagles QB Michael Vick will most likely make return in week 8 after missing time with a hamstring injury.
Dan J carney is a sports writer for 3 online sports websites. He writes for Tru School Sports, RantSports.com (covers the Charlotte Bobcats), and he also writes for the league news.com. Dan is also a YouTube sports talk show host where he talks on his channel (DanJcarney) about trending topics, questions, and breaking news about everything and anything regarding the NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL. You can follow him on Twitter @dan_jcarney, Subscribe to him on YouTube, or add him on Google+.